Friday, April 26, 2013

The history of certain Fraternities

I recently sat in on a Black Political Thought class and the issue of Fraternities on Rhodes Campus was brought into question.  It was brought to my attention that at least one  of the fraternities used to host public lynchings and that this same frat continues to celebrate the Old South as part of its tradition.  How do you all feel about this?  Is taking part in an organization that condoned lynching and continues to celebrate some of the same traditions that inherently connected with lynching and racial terror an issue?  Just something I would like to hear y'all opinion about.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you posted this. I had no idea that Old South was a part of the tradition for when fraternities used to host public lynchings. This is horrible. Even though people are not intending by any matter to be racist when they hold this formal, it has some very strong history as being racist. I think that it definitely brings up the issue of racial terror.

    ReplyDelete